Friday, September 2, 2011

Elysium Poster Take 2


Neill, here's another poster I whipped up for you. It's missing a lot of the actors, but fuck, there's so many, and this is quick shit. This is fucking goulash, baby. Anyway, here's a collection of quotes from you and the media that lead to this current incarnation of the poster:

"I’ve got one science fiction idea that I’m absolutely in love with, which I’m pretty sure is going to be my next film. 99% sure…It’s totally original, it’s my own story…It’s set on another planet, but it’s cool. It’s violent, very violent, and very unique hopefully. We’ll see."

"it is science fiction and it has many sociopolitical ideas that interest me. Those ideas are wrapped up inside something that is like a Hollywood action film…The setting for the next film takes place 150 years from now. There are two cities that I’m choosing between. They would play as themselves. They are not in South Africa."

All we know about Elysium so far is that it is set at least 100 years in the future, features Jodie Foster as the head of state of an alien planet and Matt Damon as an ex-con. Is that some sort of prison gear binding Damon in these images? A viral video clip launched during Comic Con suggests some of the backstory for the film, possibly supporting rumors that a colonization project is part of the plot.

There are also a few rumors about the plot following a battle between an alien and human race for the right to colonize another planet. Mind you that's completely unconfirmed, but an interesting direction to say the least.

When South African film-maker Neill Blomkamp's strange new short went viral last month it prompted many questions: is this a clue to Blomkamp's mooted District 9 sequel? Or his forthcoming new sci-fi project Elysium? And is that a pig or a cat, or – gulp – a little bit of both? It said as much about contemporary movie marketing as it did about the director's creativity.

For those wondering, “Elysium” is actually a term used in Greek mythology for a section of the Underworld designated to heroes and other laudatory figures. The term has gone on to have connotations with “Paradise”.

I can’t tell you what the big themes are, but I can tell you that there are big themes. He’s someone who’s really interested in the world.

I can’t tell you about the content of Elysium but I can tell you, it won’t really be… it’s a very different movie than anything you’ve ever seen before. It’s not necessarily an alien movie.


All this adds up to; Nipple guns! I know it's true! Nipple guns are the shit dude, and that guy can pull this shit off.

Here's what I tried to get on the poster, but there was no room:

2 Amradyne factory workers and an incredibly tall wisecracking Crackbot must elude a nipple gun equipped drug dealing android.

Their only hope is to escape offworld, to an alien paradise.


Then things get fucking crazy.


That's it dude, I think I got it all in there. The pig thing? OH, FUCK! I forgot that damned pig thing from AGM Heartland...hey...how the fuck is that going to fit in this?Copley and Damon's inter-species lovechild? Hmmmnnn...I think I feel a new poster coming on.


Douglebutt

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you need to make that zombie prawn picture. That will seal the deal with Blomkandy, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can think now is "Damn, Elysium had better have nipple guns in it."

    Also, I don't know, but I think AGM Heartland is probably a seperate thing...? Whatever it is, I NEED MORE OF IT THIS SECOND

    ReplyDelete