Thursday, February 11, 2010

SCHMEEEERRRP


Neill; that's a tanker horn. I have to admit, I find tankers fascinating. Well, I call them all tankers, but I'm including cargo ships as well.

I grew up in Port Angeles; yeah that's right, from Twilight; and we had a fairly deep peninsula. Lots of big ships would come in. Enormous. We would drive our boat alongside of them, it was like that first time you saw the Star Destroyer at the beginning of Star Wars, but real. Soooooo big. I also love mudflats. I like how bleak they look. You'd never guess the life teaming on a mudflat. Sometimes I'd dress in my speedo and call myself muddy mudskipper and slop around all over the top. last week I got plenty of wide eyed stares. I think people really like it.

So this image is of a port. The tide can come in a bit, but it would still be fairly shallow. They have the scaffolding tie off points around in the mud. While the ship is tied there, and independent ferry company would fly the crewmen off for shore leave. The muddy area would be perfect if a ship had to 'shallow it' and rest their belly on the ground. Soft and all, minimal damage.

Toot! Toot!

That's a tug sound.

Adios!

Douglas Tuglas Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment